Wednesday, July 8, 2009

July 8 - 60/60

I want to share another 'letter' from Frank Laubach's book. It's incredible. Here it is:

The experiment I am trying [staying connected to God every hour of the day] is the most strenuous discipline which any man every attempted. I am not succeeding in keeping God in my mind very many hours of the day, and from the point of view of experiment number one [keeping God in mind every hour], I should have a high percentage of failure. But the other experiment - what happens when I do succeed - is so successful that it makes up for the failure of number one. God does work a change. The moment I turn to Him it is like turning on an electric current which I feel through my whole being. I find also that the effort to keep God in my mind does something to my mind which every mind needs to have done to it. I am given something difficult enough to keep my mind with a keen edge. The constant temptation of every man is to allow his mind to grow old and lose its edge [think comfortably numb...]. I feel that I am perhaps more lazy mentally than the average person, and I require the very mental discipline which this constant effort affords.

So my answer to my two questions to date would be:
1. "Can it be done all the time?" Hardly.
2. "Does the effort help?" Tremendously. Nothing I have ever found proves such a tonic to mind and body.

Such great thoughts from a man pursuing Christ in the 1930's. I love the answers to his two questions. Can we do the 60/60 perfectly? Hardly. Does it make a difference when we do succeed? Tremendously!

No comments:

Post a Comment